· SEWA Team Darts
    · Halex Envy
    · Blade 4
    · Laro Carbon Shaft
    · SightRight
    · Fit Flight soft tips
    · Fit shafts/Flights

Refuel
    Designed by yours truly. Made by the best! These are the darts I've played with since 2005!

Team SEWA :: View topic - 2017 Oregon Open
     Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

2017 Oregon Open

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Team SEWA Forum Index -> Tournaments and Competition
    View previous topic :: View next topic  
    SEWAKiwi
    SEWA Superuser (S-1)
    SEWA Superuser (S-1)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject: 2017 Oregon Open Reply with quote

Just wondering if anyone around here is going to the Oregon Open this year?

Seriously considering going and checking it out, and wondered who I might find if I do.
    Erik
    COMMANDANT
    COMMANDANT

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CraigB will probably be there and Christina and usually members come out of Canada and of course Seattle area....a lot of them no longer active here (but on FB I'm sure)...in fact the Team SEWA FB page has members on it who don't come to the site very often but still check in now and again (Like Rainman for example).....

I won't be there (not sure when it is even) but would love to! I'm just too busy with my business and regular job unfortunately but I do hope to go in the future as it's been too long!

League ends this week for us so I don't even know when the next starts up! LOL
    kimber
    SEWA Superuser (S-1)
    SEWA Superuser (S-1)

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be coming up from San Francisco to play. My first one.
    CraigB
    Spam Killer and Admin
    Spam Killer and Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can confirm that there WAS a SEWAKiwi siting yesterday! Thanks to work I barely made it to the blind draw (I'm an IT Consultant and we're dealing with ransomware too much right now Rolling Eyes ). I met Kyle right after I signed up, but I think he disappeared after that 'cause I didn't see him for the rest of the night.

I shot even worse than I had hoped (though probably to be expected since I hadn't thrown a dart for two months and was dead tired Confused ). I did have a 180 and a 171 playing side games before the real event started, but didn't contribute much during the bulk of the games except I was finishing well (we came out first in flight). We should have won our last match, but lost the round before the money (figures). Rolling Eyes
    kimber
    SEWA Superuser (S-1)
    SEWA Superuser (S-1)

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also spotted the Kiwi! In fact he and his blind draw partner were in our round robin group. Super nice guy and smooth throw! Smile Hope to meet more folks from here. I'm the tall 50s guy with a SF Giants hat backwards. Hope to meet others today!
    Erik
    COMMANDANT
    COMMANDANT

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck all! and lets here some results! Wink
    CraigB
    Spam Killer and Admin
    Spam Killer and Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had to stay home all day yesterday sleeping with a cold or something... Sad

Today I have to pick Ian up at the airport around 11:30am, right in the middle of 501 singles (what I really wanted to play), then I have a job to do so... no more darts for me this year. A bit bummed about that! Confused
    SEWAKiwi
    SEWA Superuser (S-1)
    SEWA Superuser (S-1)

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I had a great time over the weekend.

Unfortunately for me, my darts didn't really show up and performance wise it was really rather frustrating.

In 01 I had the DT's all weekend, In' my singles flight, where Kimber crushed me 2-0 I missed 30-40 darts at doubles in not getting out. Such is darts.

I believe you learn alot more from losing than you do from winning, so it was a weekend where I learned ALOT lol, particularly about playing competitive cricket.

Running into craigb (albeit briefly) was great, and I got to hang out with Kimber quite a bit which was also pretty darn cool.

I was surprised to see no raised Oches though, not even for the championship board, and I still find it so strange that players chalk their own games at tournaments like this, I'm not sure I'll ever get used to it.

I really did have a great time though, met some great people, had some great talks and got to throw darts all weekend. You really can't ask for much more than that!

Can't wait to do it again.
    Erik
    COMMANDANT
    COMMANDANT

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I didn't make it out! One of these day's I'll be back there I'm sure but I haven't played in a major tournament in over ten years now!
    SEWAKiwi
    SEWA Superuser (S-1)
    SEWA Superuser (S-1)

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erik wrote:
    Sorry I didn't make it out! One of these day's I'll be back there I'm sure but I haven't played in a major tournament in over ten years now!

Theres always Seattle in September Wink
    Erik
    COMMANDANT
    COMMANDANT

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SEWAKiwi wrote:
    Erik wrote:

What's in Seattle?
    SEWAKiwi
    SEWA Superuser (S-1)
    SEWA Superuser (S-1)

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erik wrote:
    SEWAKiwi wrote:
    Erik wrote:

What's in Seattle?

Northwest Steeltip Championship... It's actually in Snoqualmie, not Seattle.
    29 Sept - 01 Oct
    kimber
    SEWA Superuser (S-1)
    SEWA Superuser (S-1)

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I threw decent darts but didn't get deep in anything. John Hussman, who won 301 and made the finals in 501 (not sure if he won or not)...beat me in first rounds of both 01. (Well it was the first round of the knock out after the round robin in 501.) After the 301 he was nice enough to say I played him toughest of anyone in that event. (I had a dart to beat him and missed tops.)

I somehow went 7-1 in the round robin while still not throwing well until the last couple matches.

Great hanging with you Kiel! Definitely look me up if you visit SF and I'll see you in Seattle if I don't bail for unforeseen reasons.

As to the chalking...that was weird. Usually there's more effort to get folks to chalk for each other. I've never been at a tournament with more walk and chalking. I didn't actually mind it that much as I play with a deliberate pace....though I could see it bugging faster players.

Anyway, I came back and got another "record" and am generally throwing as well or better than I have before....partly attributable to the good practice I've been encouraged to get from this site. Smile
    Erik
    COMMANDANT
    COMMANDANT

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh yes, John is a good dartplayer and was one of the best in the NW a dozen years ago too. Not sure of guys like Jim Gennai, Roger Chrystal, Steve Arionus etc are still at it but there were at least a dozen that could win the opens and regional back then (when I took 2nd in 7 in a row there was a different winner in EVERY ONE! Imagine that!)....

There are some very good dart players in the NW
    CraigB
    Spam Killer and Admin
    Spam Killer and Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, John's making a comeback actually. Like so many darters it seems (including Fuzzy Fromm & Roger Crystal), John had a minor stroke a while back so his math is hurting, but he obviously can still throw! I didn't even know about it until we talked for a while after he won the 301 singles.
    kimber
    SEWA Superuser (S-1)
    SEWA Superuser (S-1)

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't notice John having any trouble with the math. Of course I might have been reeling from the 140,140,100 he opened with in our first leg of 501...and not noticed. Smile
    kimber
    SEWA Superuser (S-1)
    SEWA Superuser (S-1)

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SEWAKiwi wrote:
    Unfortunately for me, my darts didn't really show up and performance wise it was really rather frustrating. .

FWIW, and I know we talked about this, no one performs well at the next level if they've been playing 100% in their comfort zone leading up to the tougher competition. My partner, Tim, felt the same way about the weekend as you did. His darts in competition were below what he's capable of and it was frustrating.

But he also plays in a fairly uncompetitive league and doesn't get out to the ADO qualifiers or tournaments.

If I only play league where 90% of the time the legs don't matter much (except in the playoffs), I don't expect to be ready for a competition where I'm going to be under pressure and often fighting just to keep in a leg.

I find I have to play a lot in highly challenging situations before I expect to be able to deliver under pressure. And still the pressure often hurts my darts. I haven't found a way to recreate the benefits of repeated exposure to high pressure darts. The nice thing is eventually pressure becomes normal, and my blood pressure and adrenaline get out of the way and let me throw at least close to my practice darts.

So success for me requires about 50% form practice and 50% competitive experience.
    CraigB
    Spam Killer and Admin
    Spam Killer and Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I've "been there, done that" throughout the years, even though I was shooting complete junk overall, I still took six outs in the blind draw when it came down to it because the old-time competitor in me knew I could do it. We should have lost five of those six legs, but everyone else kept tightening up and missing the most important part. Wink
    Post new topic   Reply to topic    Team SEWA Forum Index -> Tournaments and Competition All times are GMT - 7 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: