· Laro Carbon Shaft
    · SightRight
    · Fit Flight soft tips
    · Fit shafts/Flights
    · LARO Shafts

Topsites

Our Visitors Map

Web Toolbar
    There isn't content right now for this block.

Alexa Tool Bar
    Get our toolbar!

Team SEWA :: View topic - Does your local Newspaper cover Darts
     Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

Does your local Newspaper cover Darts
    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Team SEWA Forum Index -> General Dart Talk
    View previous topic :: View next topic  

How much darts coverage does your local newspaper provide?
    National Darts events only.
    0%
     0%  [ 0 ]
    Local Darts events only.
    2%
     2%  [ 1 ]
    International Darts events only.
    0%
     0%  [ 0 ]
    They will cover Darts stuff when they get a Press Release
    7%
     7%  [ 3 ]
    They cover all types of Darts all the time
    2%
     2%  [ 1 ]
    They don't even know that there is a sports called "Darts"
    76%
     76%  [ 30 ]
    Other (please explain)
    10%
     10%  [ 4 ]
    Total Votes : 39

digger331
    Assistant Commandant Editor in Chief
    Assistant Commandant   Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AmericanBadAss wrote:
    What I really need to do is talk to the bar owner where I run the LOD at and see if he'd be cool with maybe having something about the draw published..good way to get newer players into the game and then maybe the league from there.

I think a good idea to sell the idea is to have some kind of darts freebie attached to it, or maybe even a small discount at the bar for new members. You might even extend the freebie/discount to old members who bring in a new LOD/league member.

Also, if you have a charity LOD, make sure to put the word out to the press. Make sure to put out a nice spread - lots of cold meats and hot wings. The quickest way to get reporters to show up is to have free food at hand - works for me!
    WSOD QUALIFIER
    WSOD QUALIFIER

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had my interview with FoX last night and learned some things. It was the actual sports anchor who did the interview so I had a good opportunity to get a better feel for things that may or may not work.

1. Press Packets Work! - We put together a nice little package for them ahead of time. Things included were info on the WSOD, my bio, and info on the national/local dart scene. This worked good for what we wanted. The fact that he read everything and came in with a decent background knowledge really helped everything go smoothly.

2. Get Em Throwing! - I spent about 20minutes before we went on camera playing darts with him. I explained about how to play the game, scoring, and strategy. It also was a good time to invite him to a draw and let him know about the local dart scene. We also talked about national/international darts and he seemed really blown away.

3. Dont Be Afraid To Ask! - I asked him to participate in a local pro-am event with local celebrities, and media talent. He accepted in a second and even offered to recruit some of the local pro athletes and help coordinate with the charities as well.

I also talked about follow-ups closer to the air date. He offered to do live updates during the event and we talked about some website stuff as well. All and all it was a very positive experience.

When the piece aired they did a nice job editing. I was a bit dissapointed that there wasnt any mention of the dart league or how to get involved with darts included. But I think they really wanted the hometown boy playing for a million story and thats what it was.

Hopefully the time I spent with him will make them more receptive to covering darts related news/events in the future. This was the first time they have covered a darts story so it was my goal to get them as excited as possible about our sport. Time will tell...
    Dart_talker
    Senior Moderator
    Senior Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DoubleTrouble,

Great post! I'm glad that you interview went well! Do you have a copy of the tape or can it be seen on line? You must be quite the local hero!

Thanks for the insights, and if possible could you give us a push in the right direction on building a proper media kit?

Was also wondering if any of the international, national or local darts organizations helped in getting you prepared for the interview or building the press kit.

Well thanks again for keeping us updated on the adventures of a WSoD qualifier.
    ADO Area 2-2 Facebook page
    digger331

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

way to go, D2T! I was hoping some of my advice would pay off.

yes, press kits work, but only if they're timely. Usually a journalist won;t look at an unsolicited press package too closely if he can't see a story in it somewhere, and even then, as you said, they only cover things from their slant.

but still, it's all good! Is there any way we can see a clip?

dt- a press package usually holds the basic 5Ws and an H (who, what, why. etc...) the trick is to put the right amount of material. Not to be sexist, but I always say that articles and press kits should be like a woman's skirt; long enough to cover everything, but short enough to keep things interesting.

I'm still working on my press package idea, but alas, press deadline calls and I wont have any free time until the weekend. (except for the occaisional breaktime spent here! Very Happy lol)
    Senior Moderator
    Senior Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally I write to papers that publish that cover darts to thank and encouage them, and when appropriate I leave make suggestions and comments. However I rarely get a response beyond a polite "thank you", but this time in additon to a thank you I got an alert about an upcoming story:

Quote:

Pennysaver Editor to me (dart_talker)

Thank you for your comments. I appreciate that you read the Weekly
    PennySaver and pay attention to our coverage. You will probably be happy to
    hear that I am planning an upcoming story about a local 13-year-old who
    competes in dart tournaments.

Thanks again for your comments,
    Bryon

Dart_talker
    Senior Moderator
    Senior Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:43 am    Post subject: My league gets some newspaper coverage! Reply with quote

It's not often that our local news media pays much attention to our darts league, but this article could singal a change in attitude towards darts!

My Darts League gets some local news coverage (clickable link)
    Quote:

"The Ventura County Dart Association is on a slight rebound with about 60 members, but is working to increase its numbers this summer with the introduction of a singles league and a possible youth darts program in future months.

'We have the potential of having more members, the problem is people simply don't want to commit to it every week,' VCDA president Diana Needham said. 'They have so many other things going on in their lives, and we have long seasons. Full article link!

There are some problems with the article, but at this point I'm happy to have any coverage at all! I've been after them to cover our league for some time. However there are to problems that I can't over look:
    - They did not publish our contact information!
    - Our league does not belong to the ADA!

On the good side having a front page article on July 4th is very cool, and our Youth Darts progam got a plug!

This newspaper site is free, but requires registration. Contact me if you want to read the article but do not want to register.

<the article is now archived and the link is no longer working>

Last edited by Dart_talker on Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Grey_Owl
    Dart Gunny
    Dart Gunny

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First thing I did this morning was email Canada's equivalent to ESPN ... it's called TSN.

I suggested to them that John Part's victory should have been covered. Additionally I let them know that ESPN covered the WSOD and that darts will be the the next big thing like poker.

In Canada, we don't promote our Champions (unless it's Hockey or Olympics). Sheesh ... John played and won during our Canada day long weekend.

I also email a sport talk show program ... and told them to book John Part ... of course I told them why ... cross my fingers ... hope top hearing from him on the "Off the Record" program.
    Boddington_Paul
    Valued Former Moderator
    Valued Former Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hooked wrote:
    First thing I did this morning was email Canada's equivalent to ESPN ... it's called TSN.

I suggested to them that John Part's victory should have been covered. Additionally I let them know that ESPN covered the WSOD and that darts will be the the next big thing like poker.

In Canada, we don't promote our Champions (unless it's Hockey or Olympics). Sheesh ... John played and won during our Canada day long weekend.

I also email a sport talk show program ... and told them to book John Part ... of course I told them why ... cross my fingers ... hope top hearing from him on the "Off the Record" program.

That's all you can do! Cross your fingers! Cause holding your breath might kill you! Very Happy
    Dart_talker
    Senior Moderator
    Senior Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boddington_Paul wrote:
    Hooked wrote:

That's all you can do! Cross your fingers! Cause holding your breath might kill you! Very Happy

All I can say is persistence pays.....

Next on my list is getting TV coverage!
    ChristinaO
    SEWA Moderator (S-3)
    SEWA Moderator (S-3)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a search on three local papers, the only one that has a dart related story was written in 1980! I have to go to the library and go thru the archives on microfich to find it!!

And to be honest, I'm not sure where to begin with getting "dart news" in the papers. It is rare that I read a mainstream newspaper unless something is pointed out to me, I hadn't read a newspaper article in months before the Darts for The Troops article was posted on SEWA. So this could sound really ignorant, but who would I contact at the paper?
    Boddington_Paul
    Valued Former Moderator
    Valued Former Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChristinaO wrote:
    I did a search on three local papers, the only one that has a dart related story was written in 1980! I have to go to the library and go thru the archives on microfich to find it!!

And to be honest, I'm not sure where to begin with getting "dart news" in the papers. It is rare that I read a mainstream newspaper unless something is pointed out to me, I hadn't read a newspaper article in months before the Darts for The Troops article was posted on SEWA. So this could sound really ignorant, but who would I contact at the paper?

The front desk
    digger331

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boddington_Paul wrote:
    ChristinaO wrote:
    So this could sound really ignorant, but who would I contact at the paper?

The front desk

you'll have more luck with the sports desk.
    Valued Former Moderator
    Valued Former Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

digger wrote:
    Boddington_Paul wrote:
    ChristinaO wrote:
    So this could sound really ignorant, but who would I contact at the paper?

The front desk

you'll have more luck with the sports desk.

That too! but she would have to go through the front one first! then inquire about the Sports section
    mark
    Field Commander
    Field Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

digger, Dart_talker, please post here if you develop a press package. I have sent emails to local sports desks without much luck. Perhaps a press package would produce more results.
    Boddington_Paul
    Valued Former Moderator
    Valued Former Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pdl wrote:
    digger, Dart_talker, please post here if you develop a press package. I have sent emails to local sports desks without much luck. Perhaps a press package would produce more results.

Stupid question but what is a press package??
    mark
    Field Commander
    Field Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boddington_Paul wrote:
    pdl wrote:

What's a stupid question?

What would be useful is if a couple of folks with a tad more experience (cite above) who have put together a good press kit/package for the upcoming WSOD TV event with a tie-in to the local darts scene could post the fruits of their efforts here so the rest of us could promote the sport effectively.

Or something like that Smile
    digger331

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a good press kit can be anywhere from a one-page news relese to a complete folder with news, pictures and stats. The key to a good press package is tailoring it to the needs of the media intended.

Small newspapers can get by with a small, 500-word article plus pics, while a large newspaper might require just a photo. A good rule of thumb is that the bigger the newspaper, the less room they have, but the better chance you have of getting it published.

All good newspapers will accept outside submission. The best thing to do is call the newspaper or television station (or look on their website) and ask what their submission policies are, and who to give them to.

I'd be happy to help anyone if necessary.
    Senior Moderator
    Senior Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boddington_Paul wrote:
    pdl wrote:

I'm not the best at putting things like a press kit together, but I will post whatever I come up with and get feedback from those more experienced.

Here's a discription of a press kit:

Quote:

A Press kit is a pre-packaged set of promotional materials of a person or persons represented for promotional use. The kit will usually include a CD or demonstration along with reviews, photos, and background information on the person, band or group and is distributed among media sources, i.e., radio stations or journalists for publicity. They are often distributed to announce a release or for a news conference.

mernst
    Dart Corporal
    Dart Corporal

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.sunherald.com is ours down here on the Gulfcoast of Mississippi
    I guess they don't
    View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
    Dart_talker
    Senior Moderator
    Senior Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread has been inactive for a while now, but a recent thread got me thinking about it again. Anyone have anything to add?
    diddle
    WO-4 SEWA Ambassador
    WO-4 SEWA Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, our league officials were recently able to get a piece aired about the SF Open on a local television station, not a network affiliate or anything but still, it was good thing.

Phil Taylor
    diddle
    WO-4 SEWA Ambassador
    WO-4 SEWA Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all good ideas.

Phil Taylor
    Dart_talker
    Senior Moderator
    Senior Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SLEEPYKRAMER wrote:
    Next thought I had was the local papers. Like the Laguna Beach News, or such as that. They will post the Little League scores, mens softball league scores, etc. why not the dart league scores? I bet if a league contact were able to consistently supply the information to them each week, they would make a space for it. It's community news too.

Our league really wants to get our results published, but we have trouble getting captains to report results on time.

SLEEPYKRAMER wrote:

Also, what about a $1 surcharge per member for each season and the surcharge can pay to run an ad in the local papers, or local PennySavers, Shoppers, etc...whatever your area has. Or the leagues write it into their budget. Just a small ad that gives the local league contact information or website address. There could be so many gararge dart players out there that really do not know that leagues exist.

Me personally, I would donate my trophy money to advertising instead.

That's something I will recomend at our next league board meeting.
    Charis
    Team SEWA Reporter - Europe
    Team SEWA Reporter - Europe

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neither our local newspaper nor the quite important "Stuttgarter Zeitung" ever did publish anything about regional or international dart events. I think the local one would if there were local dart events.

But I was very astonished that neither the local paper of Hayling Island nor the local Newport paper published about the the tournaments that took place there.
    I looked up the respective Friday and Monday papers but couldn`t find an announcement or any results. Perhaps all was in Thursday and Tuesdays papers? Wink
    But nevertheless I think it`s astonishing that those events which such top darters are not more commentated.
    Dart_talker
    Senior Moderator
    Senior Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Clans vie at darts

This year the Ventura County Dart Association, which is presenting Gold Coast Shootout III in conjunction with the Highland Games, has added the Darts Clan Challenge. The 70 clans that have gathered for the games are invited to form three-person dart-throwing teams to earn awards and bragging rights.

Read more: http://www.vcstar.com/news/2010/oct/09/anglo-saxon-action-in-ventura-highland-games-at/#ixzz124MnmhVl
    - vcstar.com
    http://www.vcstar.com/news/2010/oct/09/anglo-saxon-action-in-ventura-highland-games-at/

Our tournament is part of the Seaside Highland Games http://www.seaside-games.com/ so the event is geared towards drawing non-dart players into the Dart Hall, helping them to understand more about the game of darts, and get them to compete.
    Post new topic   Reply to topic    Team SEWA Forum Index -> General Dart Talk All times are GMT - 7 Hours
    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
    Page 2 of 3

Jump to: