· SEWA Team Darts
    · Halex Envy
    · Blade 4
    · Laro Carbon Shaft
    · SightRight
    · Fit Flight soft tips
    · Fit shafts/Flights

Refuel
    Designed by yours truly. Made by the best! These are the darts I've played with since 2005!

Team SEWA :: View topic - Soft vs Steel -- my recent thoughts
     Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

Soft vs Steel -- my recent thoughts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Team SEWA Forum Index -> General Dart Talk
    View previous topic :: View next topic  
    Erik
    COMMANDANT
    COMMANDANT

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:09 am    Post subject: Soft vs Steel -- my recent thoughts Reply with quote

As many of you know I've taken to playing soft tip (electronic) darts as there isn't any steel boards locally (since we moved). I've found the soft tip world interesting to play in and have begun to think that it is the great equalizer in darts.

You see, in steel tips I can blow throws in the local leagues and LOD's I've shot but come back with a few good shots and hitting my double in 501 or nailing points in cricket. The game tends to ebb and flow between good and bad shots but in the end the player with the ability or skill to come back with some big shots or good outshots is most often the victor.

Not so in soft! I have found that if I'm off the large segments, triples, doubles and bill tend to mean that players I might normally beat with a quick recovery are already heading to the out, or stopping me on the points and it's too late.

I find that in soft tip darts consistency is EVERYTHING. Missing singles in cricket is the death knell and missing the bull in '01 likewise. Sure players rated well below you will not likely make the shots to succeed but a player who is consistent in the 2.6-3.0mpr range in cricket will quickly race ahead if you miss shots and seeing blood can often turn up their game and shoot 4+mpr to take the win. Whereas, when I shoot in the 4.0+ range and am not missing the singles they have little hope and tend to fall back to their average.

Maybe it's just me but I'm finding that being consistent in soft tips is vital if you want to win.

Sure it is at the higher level in steel too, don't get me wrong, but lower skilled players have a greater chance in soft in my opinion.

What this means, I think, is that in soft you must push yourself to be more consistent rather than resting on your laurels knowing you can make a few big shots to catch back up -- there just isn't much catching up in soft if you are closely rated.

I could change my mind on this as I venture into this realm but so far I'm finding an off night in soft is a losing night whereas the same ability in steel with similar players turns into a victory.
    KopRalph11
    Senior Moderator Team SEWA Original
    Senior Moderator Team SEWA Original

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Consistency is Soft Tip is everything.
    CraigB
    Spam Killer and Admin
    Spam Killer and Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember getting to the finals stage at an Oregon Open in Cricket where I was playing mediocre with all the larger numbers (20's thru 17's) which seemed to lull people into playing just a little better, then I'd hit a nine-count between 16's and 15's (I had six of these in several different distributions) which made all the difference in those legs. All of a sudden they need a ton of bulls and I'm done.

This is exactly what Erik's talking about can happen in steel, but not soft. I've never had decent consistency or I would have won a LOT more singles events (I've won many more double's events where my partners helped even things out, but missed out on tons of singles events due to that "one bad round"). Maybe on my next run into the ADO Top 25 (which, apparently, happens every 18 years! Laughing ), I can develop consistency too! Wink

2023, here I come! LOL.
    Erik
    COMMANDANT
    COMMANDANT

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. I've been shooting 4+MPR in cricket on a soft machine only to flatline a couple times and end up playing catch up. You just can't miss the singles in soft or if you do you better be hell on the trips.

I'm playing with a hotbutton now and plan to see what I can do
    YerbaBuenaDarts
    Private

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Soft vs Steel -- my recent thoughts Reply with quote

In SF steel in dying due to real estate prices. Soft tip has potential and started to place machines. I think steel tip can be intimidating to break into. While I think it's possible people wouldn't want to go further than soft, it would still bring new shooters into the community.

Any advice to navigating both in a small city?
    Erik
    COMMANDANT
    COMMANDANT

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the site.

Is the question as an operator or a player?

As a player, I'd say just play! Go where the darts are. When I get the chance to play steel I do, since it's my first love, but since there is no steel where I live now I play soft as often as I can and have gained a new respect for the game.
    Post new topic   Reply to topic    Team SEWA Forum Index -> General Dart Talk All times are GMT - 7 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: