· Halex Envy
    · Blade 4
    · Laro Carbon Shaft
    · SightRight
    · Fit Flight soft tips
    · Fit shafts/Flights
    · LARO Shafts

Refuel
    Designed by yours truly. Made by the best! These are the darts I've played with since 2005!

Team SEWA :: View topic - Alternative Cricket Practices
     Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

Alternative Cricket Practices

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Team SEWA Forum Index -> Practice, Strategy & Technique
    View previous topic :: View next topic  
    Erik
    COMMANDANT
    COMMANDANT

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject: Alternative Cricket Practices Reply with quote

OK, so I've been thinking about my newest Cricket practice (Erik's 9) and how it can be adapted to more closely approach actual play and came up with two variations. The first holds to my philosophy of throwing two for points and one for the close in a point game. My philosophy is that you don't want to waste more than one dart trying to close a number when in a point battle because you must maintain the point lead at all cost. Thus, when trying to close a number your opponent has open to point on you shouldn't waste more than one dart which could be a triple anyway (and you don't want to hit a single and then a triple because that's a wasted dart as it can't score points since your opponent has the number already). To facilitate this I've modified my 9 game to follow this flow:

Start with 9 points
    3 darts at the 20's
    2 darts at the 20's and one at the 19
    2 darts at the 19 and one at the 18
    2 @ 18, 1 @ 17
    2 @ 17, 1 @ 16
    2 @ 16, 1 @ 15
    2 @ 15, 1 @ bull
    3 at the bull.

Max points is 81 (remember each DB is worth 3 points).

This means that once you pass the initial 20 shot you will not throw more than 2 darts at any given number until the last throw which is all at the bull.

The idea is that you start with a full throw at the 20's presumably you are throwing first and close them. Next is to throw 2 at the 20's presumably for points, and one at the 19 for close. Now you might argue you should move to the 18 but that just confuses things so I move to 2 for the 19 and one for 18. I do this purely for practice reasons.

My next version is to start with the 20's as above but the next throw is 20,19,18 followed by 19,18,17 and so on. Like this:

Start with 9 points
    All three at the 20's
    16,15,B
    15, B, B
    B, B, B

As above max points is 81.

This gives you 4 darts at the 20's and 6 at the bulls, 2 at the 19's, 3 at each the 18, 17, 16 and 15's

This practice requires the ability to hit triples on the change up and frequently.

Give them a try and let me know what you think. My first runu through the top game was a fail by the 3rd throw (lost 3 on the 20's, then lost 3 on both the next two throws causing me to start over) followed by a score of 12. I'll keep at it.

Last edited by Erik on Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:36 am; edited 1 time in total
    Erik
    COMMANDANT
    COMMANDANT

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Example on first one:

Starting with 9 points
    3 darts at the 20's -- miss, score is now 6
    Two darts at the 20's and one at the 19 -- hit one T19 -- score = 9
    2@19's, 1 @18 -- hit one T18 -- score = 12
    2@ 18's, 1 @17 -- hit one T18 -- score = 15
    2 @17's, 1 @16 -- miss -- score = 12
    2 @16's, 1 @15 -- miss -- score = 9
    2 @15's, 1 @ B -- miss -- score = 6
    3 @ Bulls -- Miss -- score = 3

Note: a miss is no darts hit a triple (or the double bull).

So three triples and I made it through and finished with 3. Not great but the singles don't count and in a big game with an opponent capable of hitting 7 and 9 marks and willing to go nuclear on the points you MUST be able to hit trips and do it on the change up and you MUST be able to hit the bull.
    Erik
    COMMANDANT
    COMMANDANT

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next run:

Starting at 9 points
    20's -- 2 trips -- score +6=15
    20's/19 -- 1 trip -- score +3=18
    19's/18 -- miss -- score -3=15
    18's/17 -- 1 trip -- score +3=18
    17's/16 -- miss -- score -3=15
    16's/15 -- 1 trip -- score +3=18
    15's/B -- 2 trips -- score +3=21
    Bulls -- 1 DB -- score +3=24

I'm happy with 24 and the 6 trips and 1 DB in 24 darts but I should really be able to hit at least 8 trips in that many darts.
    Erik
    COMMANDANT
    COMMANDANT

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best run on the second game I hit an 18...still working at it but it's a challenge with all the constant changes.

I like it though.
    JoelH
    Private

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a novice your rules are very hard.

I would prefer if there is no penalty point if you hit a single.

And only a single point penalty for every missed dart.

So you can only earn points with trebles, but lose none if you hit at least the right singles.
    Erik
    COMMANDANT
    COMMANDANT

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Understood, but honestly, this isn't a novice practice. This is like Advanced CCU.

My suggestion would be to stick to CCU for cricket.

This is one of the challenges in all these practices and of course you can make your own up (and should) but games like Bob's27 for example, were created to punish the miss and reward the hit and the more the hit the greater the reward. By making the game easier it takes away from the whole point of doing it which in the case of Bob's or my Cricket 9 is to force you to start over until you hit the spot you are supposed to hit and then, and only then can you move on.
    Erik
    COMMANDANT
    COMMANDANT

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a friend years ago who changed Bob's 27 to never 'lose'. Basically when he hit 0 he just kept going and no longer took points away but would add if he hit a double and he was playing this way a while.

I was dominating him on the board and he just couldn't understand why. Why was I hitting low doubles with ease while he struggled equally across the board and I told him "Because you wanted an easier practice so you made one and nothing worth having comes easy. If you want to beat me you better stop with the whole "I want to keep playing" nonsense in Bob's and start spending all your time on the 1 through 5 until you EARN your way past them by hitting the doubles to do so."

He wasn't very happy with me but the truth hurts. Games like that, and the ones I'm playing now are designed to punish you just the way a good player will. You miss, you lose. Period.

What this does it emphasizes the need to hit the big trips in Cricket. If you can't hit them you'll be behind all the way to the finish and that means only one thing: you won't win.

I was playing league this week and while I wasn't playing nearly as well as I could a dozen years ago I was still shooting well enough to hammer the T19 or T18 in cricket when my opponents opened with 4 or 5 20's (they started first most of the night which is a league thing, you lose and it's 'Mugs Away'). Game after game they hit well on the 20's to start off and game after game I matched them on the 19's and waited for them to falter. Eventually they did and I took over. I just wasn't missing the top three triples much and as a result we won't leg after leg of cricket. Finally one game I hit T20,T19, S19 because they missed closing the 20's...and it was really game over because they just weren't ready to have to a bunch of 18's to come back.

Now imagine playing someone who's hitting several 9 marks in the night.....you gotta hit them and so, at least I think, that means you gotta be harder on yourself in practice and shoot games like this over and over again until you can't help but hit trips Wink
    JoelH
    Private

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From a certain level on you are right. But for a novice it is just a big frustration, like Bobs 27. And practice should not only be frustration, it also should give you always a kind of success.

Your rules are better for a player who regulary hit trebles, no question.
    Erik
    COMMANDANT
    COMMANDANT

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the thing is that there are many practice games that range from the very simple, like 'Round the World' (RTW), Cricket Count Up, 100@20's and so on. All of those allow even the most novice player a challenge to help them improve their game.

What I'd call mid level to advanced practices like Bob's27 can also be played but the key is to play them strictly. The reason for this is that, for example, in Bob's27 if you fail to hit the doubles you have to start over and perhaps over and over and over until you can hit those low doubles with a degree of accuracy. This is very important as the 'crunch' or 'clutch' shots tend to happen in these low doubles even at the highest level of play so being VERY good at them is vital to competing at a higher level.

My deviations from CCU here are meant for advanced players who are looking for something more than just CCU. Here you can't keep going without hitting the 'Big Three' triples in Cricket which in my mind is very important to competition cricket.

Perhaps a good example is in league this past couple weeks I had to start second in my cricket games because we'd won the previous games and in this league if you win your start second. My opponents always seemed to hit the T20 and points to start so it was very key for me to hit the T19 or T18 to counter them (and I did).

My practice made a difference as I was forced to hit those key triples to keep the practice going or I had to start over.

Not meaning to take away from your enthusiasm but just trying to show that sometimes it's more important to keep the hard practices hard and utilize the easier ones until you are ready to take the beating on the tough ones Smile Though I advocate always trying the hard ones because one day they will get easier Wink
    Chitown599
    2017 Site Sponsor and Senior Mod
    2017 Site Sponsor and Senior Mod

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My high score so far is 30, but I am usually around the 6 to 15 scores. My highest scores are 15, 18, 21, 24, 27, and the 1 30. I have tried this roughly 30 times or so, and am proud to say that I only fell to 0 3 times.
    2010/11 Fall S.A. State champions, Makin Treble
    Presently not playing
    Erik
    COMMANDANT
    COMMANDANT

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! 30! I need to get back to it!
    Post new topic   Reply to topic    Team SEWA Forum Index -> Practice, Strategy & Technique All times are GMT - 7 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: