Dartplayer.net
One of the most comprehensive resources for darts.
Search
  Login / Signup October 16, 2002  
Main Menu
· Home
· Contact Form
· Downloads
· Email
· FAQ
· Forum
· League Statistics
· Members List
· Private Messages
· Recommend Us
· Reviews
· Search
· Site Statistics
· Submit News
· Surveys
· Tournament Calendar
· Dart Links
· Your Account

Tournaments
Login to have a customized list of tournaments displayed here.

Who is Online
There are currently, 22 guest(s) and 0 member(s) that are online.

You are Anonymous user. You can register for free by clicking here

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Dartplayer.net: Forums

Equipment
Moderated by: Jason

Dartplayer.net Forum Index >> Equipment >> Dart Weight
Go to Page ( 1 | 2 Next Pages )
Author Dart Weight
Shaft

Joined on: 06/2002
Posted: 2002-06-23 on 21:03   
A few months back a friend of mine picked up an electronic board. After a few hours of throwing I was completely hooked. The next day I purchased my own set of darts, they are on the lighter side at 13 grams and I find them really comfortable to throw. My question....Is there a rule of thumb on the weight of the dart for throwing steel tips vs. plastic tips? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Profiles of Shaft   Go to the user WebSite Shaft   Edit/Delete Post   Reply with Quote
Da_Bull

Posted: 2002-06-24 on 05:47   
Shaft.....i was under the impression that you needed a heavier dart for steel tip as opposed to soft tip. I would think you would need the weight to make the dart stick in the board!..

Profiles of Da_Bull   Go to the user WebSite Da_Bull   Edit/Delete Post   Reply with Quote
Locobato

Brownsville Texas
Posted: 2002-06-24 on 15:09   
Well, from my experience and what I've read there is a limit of 22g for soft-tip due to the electric board. I'm trying to get started with steel and what I've been told is the same, you are better off throwing a bigger dart for steel so that the wieght and the inertia of the dart will make it stick easier.

Profiles of Locobato   Email Locobato   Go to the user WebSite Locobato   Edit/Delete Post   Reply with Quote
Shaft

Posted: 2002-06-24 on 16:55   
Thank you for the imput.....

Profiles of Shaft   Go to the user WebSite Shaft   Edit/Delete Post   Reply with Quote
Da_Bull

Posted: 2002-06-25 on 06:21   
I have seen video of Steel tip compatition. The darts look VERY heavy. The way they sound when they hit the board the length of the tip that actually goes into the board all look to me as if the dart is MUCH heavier then soft tip. I think i prefer soft tip however simply because i dont have to keep score

Profiles of Da_Bull   Go to the user WebSite Da_Bull   Edit/Delete Post   Reply with Quote
ECM

Toronto, Ontario
Posted: 2002-06-25 on 12:38   
You don't need a heavy dart to stick in a bristle board. You need a light dart to protect the delicate electronics of the soft-tip board. Since there's nothing but wood and sisal in a bristle board, the weight limit is 50g, although in nine years, I've only seen two sets over 30g. Most are 22 to 28 grams.

Heavier darts are more forgiving, and generally better for beginners.

Dart weight is really meaningless. You just throw whtever you're comfortable throwing, and steel tippers have a bigger range to choose from. If you're getting into steel-tip, you might can try a heavier dart to see if you like it better, but you might be better off just buying conversion points for the darts you like.

I think at televised events, the board is mounted on a hollow surface, which would magnify the sound, and there's a microphone trained right on the board, so you can't really trust the sound you hear on a tape. Just curious: what was on the tape? A tournament? A highlight reel?

Da_Bull, keeping score will improve your math, and improving your math will improve your game. You also get a good look at how other players approach certain situations.

Profiles of ECM   Go to the user WebSite ECM   Edit/Delete Post   Reply with Quote
jpel200

Joined on: 01/2002
NewMexico
Posted: 2002-06-25 on 15:26   
Just another two cents, but I have seen heavier darts completely bury a wire in a bristle board. I mean bend it in till you coudn't see the wire at all. your board will thank you if you stay under 30 grams. LOL..

Profiles of jpel200   Email jpel200   Go to the user WebSite jpel200   ICQ Status  Add this uder to your ICQ Contact List    Edit/Delete Post   Reply with Quote
Da_Bull

Posted: 2002-06-26 on 20:26   
ECM....The video was a downloaded video from i believe dartbase. It was a tournament...i believe las vegas and i believe it was Phil Nin...i could have the name totally wrong. It was a video of a nine dart 501 out...Absolutly incrediable to watch and wow what accuracy! It was like the darts just materialized where they were supposed to go.

stevep

Joined on: 08/2001
Owensboro, Ky US
Posted: 2002-06-27 on 05:38   
According to NDA rules 18 gram is the heaviest weight allowed on soft tip darts. You can check out the rules at www.ndadarts.com. Most places generally go by these rules, with a little variance.

Profiles of stevep   Go to the user WebSite stevep   Edit/Delete Post   Reply with Quote
ECM

Toronto, Ontario
Posted: 2002-06-27 on 07:05   
Da-Bull,

It was Paul Lim at the Embassy Cup, I think 1991. No question, it's a wondrous thing to watch. I found it on www.dartsport.de. The website is in German, but navigating German isn't hard. Check out the "Galerie" section for more video, and the "Archiv" section which has the Shaun Greatbatch perfect game, and a link to John Lowe's website, which has his perfect game.

According to www.planetdarts.co.uk, Paul Lim uses 23s, which are not heavy by steel-tip standards.

One thing I should probably have mentioned earlier: bristle boards do dry out with age, and you get more drop outs. That doesn't mean you need a heavier dart, just that the board should be replaced.

Profiles of ECM   Go to the user WebSite ECM   Edit/Delete Post   Reply with Quote
Go to Page ( 1 | 2 Next Pages )

Lock Topic Move Topic Delete Topic

Custom code and site hosting provided by Webb Design Concepts.

All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner.
The comments are property of the posters.
All the rest, Copyright 1999 - 2002 Dartplayer.net.